In a study which took place from November 2019 to March 2020, the American firm Fidelity Investments surveyed 800 institutional investors based in Europe and the United States, in order to find out their feelings towards digital assets.
Here you can find a short summary of the most important findings of this study.
Europe VS United States
The main objective of the study was to compare the behavior of investors within the two major Western poles of power, the results are surprising:
- The proportion of institutional investors already exposed to cryptocurrencies is 27% in the USA and 45% in Europe.
- Among these institutional investors, 59% of Americans directly own digital assets. This proportion exceeds 60% for Europeans (the others have invested via derivatives ).
- 74% of American respondents express a particular interest in this new asset class, this figure represents 82% in Europe.
- 25% of investors from the old continent consider the independence of cryptocurrencies from states as a positive factor, only 10% of Americans are of the same opinion.
- A quarter of the study participants directly own bitcoins. Ethereum is in second place with 11% possession.
- In the next five years, 91% of respondents want cryptocurrencies to represent at least 0.5% of their portfolio.
- The major advantages of cryptocurrencies come down to: independence from other asset classes (36%), a technological bet (34%) and significant upside potential (33%).
- 40% of respondents consider digital assets as an “alternative investment class” while 20% consider them to be an “independent investment class”
- The obstacles linked to the adoption of cryptocurrencies are price volatility (53%), market manipulation (47%) and lack of fundamentals (45%).
Despite still palpable fears, this is a new study that confirms the growing attractiveness of institutional investors for cryptos. Their expectations toward digital assets, although diametrically opposed to those defended by early-time adopters, may deeply change the landscape of cryptocurrencies.
Subscribe To our Newsletter
And receive the Bitcoin Whitepaper Poster